Monday 7 January 2008

On the move again? - post christmas 27/12/07

Christmas day on the boat, not the huge celebration that was anticipated. Just a very quite present opening, just the three of us, Me, John and our daughter. We travelled back to Salters Lode in Johns work van that we had already left at the marina. We needed to pick up the car and also drop some beer of to the Lock Keeper, he was a great help to us. Lots of much needed advice given in a very practical and friendly fashion, many thanks from some very grateful (not quite so novice) narrow boaters.
Boxing day was a lovely meal at mothers, with the whole of the family. I think I had mentioned to Mum on a number of occasions that this was the first Christmas dinner she had done for me since I left home at eighteen. It was a lovely day, the food was great and much appreciated. There was not a cat in hells chance of getting the whole family on the boat for dinner, so I just sat back and enjoyed the day.
The day after boxing day, we decided in all our wisdom that we hadn't had enough of travelling over water in the winter. So we made out way the Stretham in the afternoon, getting to the Lazy Otter just as it was getting dark and spent a very pleasant evening enjoying some good food and a log fire.
I really like this feeling of being able to move whenever we want to, you don't even need to pack! I thought that perhaps I would want to stay put for awhile, but it is so easy - you just untie the boat and go, how easy is that. This is the life.
It was really windy the next day and for a short while I had visions of being stranded against the bank. We did have a little problem trying to push off as the wind kept us tight to the bank, but now that John has become quite an expert it took a little manouvering and we were off again and back home to Ely. I don't ever want to live in a house ever again!

No comments: