Monday 26 November 2007

26th November 2007 - Back to Work

It was very odd getting up this morning, it was dark and deathly quiet out in the middle of no-where. John walked the dogs and we managed to have some tea and toast. Even though we left ourselves an hour to get to work, it still felt a bit of a rush. But as I left Mum and the dogs on the boat - I knew that I couldn't wait to get back after work.
I only work four hours a day, so I spent some time back at the old house, cleaning and finishing of the last bits, we will need to hand the keys in on Thursday. Luckily I have only got the kitchen floor to wash and the yard to tidy and then it will all be done.
As I was washing the floors, I was thinking to myself - the floor in the new bathroom and kitchen are so tiny - its pointless have a mop. Goodness - I have got some things to get used to.
Its a bit of a pain, being moored up so far from work. Its a case of needs must and we are so very grateful to the Northampton Boat Club. Even after an hour long journey - it is beginning to feel that the boat is now our home.
Mum had had a tidy up and it was warm and inviting when we got in, after a welcome cup of tea we started to bring on board some of our own things, such as Hi-Fi and microwave. John also hung a couple a pictures that we had in our old house. It was very apt as both the pictures were water/boat scenes and yet we got them some years ago - it must have been fate!!!!
We had got the stove working the day before and so John wanted to try lighting the range again, as soon as it was alight the stove started to fade (we just don't seem to have any luck). John seems to think that either we have run out of diesel or the power to the pump is faulty. He decided to leave it and have another look at it tomorrow. Luckily we have a portable electric heater (OK when hooked up - not a lot of use when on the move) We really need to talk to someone who knows what their talking about (we certainly don't at the moment).
Well I'm afraid it was another early night for me, can't hack all this fresh air. As I was falling asleep I know I felt very warm and comfortable in my new home. Just a few things to iron out, such as the heating, be able to cook, understanding the power systems on the boat and trying to get the boat past Whiston and further nearer the new base to make it easier to get to work. Most important of all - to get our things around us instead of having them stored all over the place.
I have faith and I know life will be good.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Hi,
You certainly seem to be having a baptism of fire (or should that be NO fire!) Very brave of you to start this new life in November - don't worry "things can only get better" and they will! I've had a boat for three years but still have to work full time nowhere near the canal system, so I can't live aborad and I envy you.
Berst of luck - and keep posting
Jim
www.starcross.squarespace.com