Monday 10 December 2007

Stuck at Warmington!!!! - 10/12/07

Well would you believe it! Being at Fotheringhay was taking its toll, walking across two fields and two stiles 2 or 3 times a day was just getting too much. On Friday morning (7/11) we looked outside and it was as calm as a mill pond, so using our vast experience (not) we decided that we would make a move. Getting under the Fotheringhay bridge was an experience never to be forgotten. Due to the current we swept up to the bridge at nearly a right angle, we nudged the left hand side and John managed to scrape us through very very slowly. He knew that the clearance would be tight and we very nearly lost the headlight, but John got it through and yet again our hearts jumped into our throats. We managed just over a mile before we got to Warmington locks and they were open!!!! Mainly due to our naivety we went straight in, forgetting that fenland locks are reversed in the winter due to the heavy flow. We soon realised that the gates were padlocked and we were stuck in the lock. The water flow was fast and scary and until we tied securely we were in reverse. After reading the signs at the lock, we knew that we were in trouble (again!). We phoned the appropriate agency and explained the situation, although they were very helpful - there really wasn't anything we could do, we were definitely up the creek without a paddle. The people on the other end of the phoned agreed that we could moor up lock side as it was probably more secure that anyway else. It was a fact, that if we couldn't get through, no-one else was even going to try. John and I managed to reverse out of the lock, very very slowly and secured up. So now we were really stuck, John got the generator working the electric fine, but the heating was an on going problem and by now we had run out of water. We managed a very cold and miserable Friday night, I went to bed in tears and then John decided that Mum and Uncle John would come and pick me up Saturday. At least we are close to Peterborough which is where Mum lives.
I was definitely beginning to feel the pressure, by the time Mum came I could not stop crying, I was cold and miserable and my dream bubble had burst some days ago. John has been a rock, taking everything in his stride and calmly trying to eliminate each problem as it arises. We got to Mums and had lovely hot baths, hot drinks and a warm bed. The dogs have been amazing, so well behaved, I couldn't ask for anything else of them, as long as they are with us they are happy. We went out for another meal on Saturday night, this is all very well and good, but all I wanted to do was cook for my husband in my own kitchen and keep house (boat) like every other wife does.
Sunday morning brought with it new enthusiasm. John went of to the boat very early, determined to have all systems up and running. I cooked a meal for Mum and myself and although I enjoyed cooking, I wished it was in my own kitchen with my own things.
John phoned late morning to say that the heating and the cooker was working, with a few tweaks here and there he had managed to sort it out. John went for a well earned pint with some mates that he hadn't caught up with for a couple a weeks and I met up with him in the afternoon so that we could get back to the boat before dark. Mum had said that we were welcome to stay another night or even as long as we wanted, but this was something we had started and we were going to see it through, no matter what. After all home is were the boat is!
So at 4.30 on Sunday afternoon, we got back on board with the dogs and our clean washing courtesy of Mum. The generator was powered up and we watched the telly and at the same time I cooked scrambled egg and bacon sandwiches for John and also managed to produced a bacon and potato soup. I even managed to wash up in about 3 mugs of hot water. Domestic life aahh!!!
Monday we have to work, but I intend to get back to the boat and make sure that I look after my husband a little better, I might even try and make him some more cakes!

No comments: